Challenge and Objective
An entire group must cross a “ravine,” carrying with them a container of “nitro” fluid. Group members
may not touch the ground or spill any of the nitro.
Variations for Accomplishing the Event
• Accomplish the task with nonverbal communication.
• Have the group return across the ravine.
• Split the group into two teams and have the teams cross the ravine in opposite directions.
• Impose a disability on any participant who lands in the ravine (use of only one arm, for example).
• Use a story line to create interest
· If needed, allow participants to take a practice swing on the rope to test their strength and get a feel for the swing.
· Retrieving the rope at the start of the activity may be included as part of the problem. Diving or jumping for the rope is generally not allowed.
· Instruct participants not to use excessive force to swing members across the no-touch area.
· There are many rule variations that can affect the level of challenge. For example, if a group member touches the ground; one person already across comes back. The group can decide who this is. Or if any group member touches the ground, everyone returns to the start.
Copyright © 2018 Sara and Eldon Tanner Youth Camp - All Rights Reserved.