Challenge and Objective
One at a time, all members of a group swing over a chasm and land in an unoccupied, designated zone on the other side. If anyone misses a zone or lands in an occupied zone, the entire group must start over. The group works as a team to complete this event.
Variations for Accomplishing the Event
• Use more hoops as landing zones than there are participants.
• Allow more than one participant to occupy the same zone.
• Have participants carry something across the chasm with them (a beach ball, for instance).
• Use a storyline to create interest.
• Use platforms and have all team members occupy one platform.
• Prouty’s Landing and Disc Jockeys—these elements are essentially the same as the Multi-Swing except that, instead of landing in the safe area, participants land on a platform or a series of wooden or plastic discs, rope circles, or hula hoops.
There are some unique considerations for these variations.
• Instruct swingers to position themselves on the board or discs so that the safety of all group members is considered.
• Attend to spotting on the landing area.
• Ask group members to communicate their intentions when swinging towards the platform or discs and to plan together for the effect that a swinging body may have on a crowded landing area.